Search

2009-04-10

Photos - Piece (2009)






Studio Ghibli's most recent production, the Yoshiyuki Momose-directed Piece. This is the music video for the song by Japanese singer Yui Aragaki. With this animation short, Momose continues his vibrant pop style he delivered so brilliantly in his three music video shorts for Capsule.

I am not aware if Momose will be delivering any more shorts, but I'm hoping so. We never get to see enough of his work, and his own modern style is so completely different from the classical nostalgia of Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Why he has consented to direct feature films is a mystery to me. Perhaps he just feels more free and creative in the short-film format. But he nevertheless remains a vital element to Ghibli, and perhaps points to the studio's future.

I'll have more to say about Piece later this evening. Hopefully, I'll have the video as well. Cross your fingers.

No comments:

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover