Search

2015-04-01

Overnight Thread ("Simpsons April Fools")



A couple years ago, I came up with the ultimate Ghibli Blog April Fools Day prank: I announced that Disney had just bought out the studio and would begin cranking out My Neighbor Totoro sequels. It spread across the internet and caused mass hysteria and panic for months. It was great fun. The only downside is knowing I can never top that.

And so I had the idea of completely scrambling the daily programming for this year's April Fools, publishing a stack of older essays from Daniel Thomas Vol 4. If I had the time, I would have messed around with the site's art assets or color scheme. Ah, well. Most of you were probably not too impressed, but I enjoyed the absurdity of the stunt.

I also had the ulterior motive of wanting to share some of my non-Ghibli writings, as all of my blog work is being translated into book manuscripts. I spent this evening on a bunch of music essays, as well as slowly working my way through the Ghibl Blog archives. I have no idea how many books we'll have by the time we're finished. Walking around downtown during my lunch break today, I got the idea of publishing everything in short, five-dollar paperbacks, instead of massive volumes. Eh, maybe, maybe not. We'll consider all options once the manuscripts are finished, rewritten and edited.

Tomorrow, it's back to the regular programming schedule, such as it is.

1 comment:

Mike Blake Studio said...

I wish I had known about your April fools joke about disney buying Ghibli. That would have been to "fan" the fire! (I personally never would have believed it myself)

Btw...I don't know how legit the copy is, but I found a seller on ebay with close-up shots of Miyazaki's Puss in boots comic and animal treasure island...etc:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comic-Box-w-Hayao-Miyazaki-Animal-Treasure-Island-Puss-in-Boots-Laputa-/310331714819

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover